[sane-devel] About the Changelog file

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Dec 20 13:17:58 UTC 2015

Hi again,

Olaf Meeuwissen writes:

> Hi,
>
> # Having a brutal two weeks @the-office.
>
> m. allan noah writes:
>
>> I think not. I'll add a note in releases.txt about regenerating the
>> Changelog.

I have added a snippet to the top of the ChangeLog file pointing users
to `git log` or the on-line log and cluebat developers to stop updating
the file.  I have also updated doc/backend-writing.txt to document this
change of policy.

Next, I updated website/cvs.html and sane-frontends/ChangeLog.  I have
also synced website/backend-writing.txt to match what sane-backends has.
Is the website version of the file supposed to be updated manually?  I'd
expected that post-receive would look after that.

>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 12:21 AM, Stef <stef.dev at free.fr> wrote:
>>>     Hello,
>>>
>>>     VCS usage has evolved over time, and it seems that the Changelog file we
>>> use isn't really useful anymore. Do we need to keep it ?
>
> +1 on no longer committing ChangeLog changes.  If you are following the
> latest, greatest code base, the change log is just a `git log` away.
>
> -1 on not including a ChangeLog in the (daily) tarball.  I'm fine with
> an auto-generated from the `git log` output.
>
> BTW, automake insists on a ChangeLog file unless you give it a `foreign`
> option.

Hope this helps,
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation
https://my.fsf.org/donate                        https://my.fsf.org/join