[sane-devel] making scanbd work OOTB in debian - question about supported backends

Wilhelm wilhelm.wm.meier at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 28 08:27:31 UTC 2015

Am 25.02.2015 um 07:06 schrieb Rolf Leggewie:
> Hello,
>
> I am maintaining scanbd in Debian and found scanbd difficult to
> configure with lots of possible pitfalls.  As much as possible I want to
> make it easy and failproof for the ordinary users to install and use
> scanbd OOTB.
>
> One of the things that broke things for me and that were hard to
> troubleshoot (I wrote to this ML about it last year) is that the SANE
> backend configurations need to be present both in /etc/sane.d and
> /etc/scanbd.  This is due to the nature scanbd sits on top of SANE. I
> still wonder if scanbd couldn't be made to have an explicit
> SANE_BACKEND_CONFIG_DIR in addition to the SANE_CONFIG_DIR?!  That would
> eliminate the need for what I am about to explain.

What should be the effect of this env-variable SANE_BACKEND_CONFIG_DIR?

I think it would be best, if the SANE lib would support setting
explicitly the config file (dll.conf) and / or the config dir.

Then saned could use this and introduced a -c <config-file> and / or
-d<dir> options. And in turn scanbd can make use of this.