[sane-devel] Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Michael Shigorin mike at altlinux.org
Thu Jul 2 18:18:03 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 08:02:05PM +0200, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> > > for the MF8540 first a question: what did you use to initiate the scan?
> > xsane and scanimage
> >
> > > It looks as if a scan was not attempted. Please try (over USB):
> > > scanimage > filename
> > > and see what happens.
>
> Can you please try the fixes I submitted to GIT today to see if
> they fix the network issue with the MF devices?

Sorry for today's noise on the list, your commits have fixed
networked scanning with MF8540 indeed: RELEASE_1_0_24-296-g0655b05
scans over ethernet just as fine as it does over USB now (so it
probably qualifies as "Perfect" for me given that I have no clue
about ADF use anyways but then again I'm not a demanding user).

> > Proper sounds but almost completely white image:
> > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF8540Cdn-scanimage.ppm.xz
> how did you scan?

As mentioned in another today's message, I scanned background!

> > > The MF6100 series is not listed, but it again might be quite
> > > possible to get it to work.
> > The same almost white image as with 8540:
> > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF6140dn-scanimage.ppm.xz
> As Rolf commented in a mail from April 3 the MF6100 series is
> added in GIT, so it should work now.  so please try scanning
> with scanimage and see if that works over USB and if it works
> over the network after todays fixes.

The problems with two scanimage/xsane runs in a row are
still there as of today's git though.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 11:12:22PM +0200, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> The MF6100 Series scanner is only working with flatbed scans
> and with single page scans in adf.

Is ADF facility onboard or an option there?

> Just now, I'm struggling with multiple pages in adf and duplex
> adf. A patch will take a while, because I only have sporadical
> access to a MF6140 scanner.
>
> Everytime the scanner reports an error on the lcd display,
> I need to wait until scanimage ends, or faster I send a ^C to
> terminate scanimage.  However, I always need to reconnect the
> usb cable before scanimage can start the next scan.

Hm, usb cable seems to suffice indeed, that has led to another
round of iR1133 experiments (will come as yet another message).

> The status of this scanner still is untested.

That looks like "minimal" to me as it's apparently been tested
and can squeeze at least a scan per replug but oh well :-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info