[sane-devel] Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Michael Shigorin mike at altlinux.org
Thu Jul 2 18:33:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 08:54:25PM +0300, I wrote:
> FIX: the packages built were RELEASE_1_0_24-292-g8c51579,
> updating to RELEASE_1_0_24-296-g0655b05 now.  This matters.
>
> > Now there's a problem with 6140 and 1133 that looks like this:
> >
> > - scanimage produces a file (which is fine);
> > - second scanimage in a row hangs;
> > - xsane hangs too when trying to preview/scan;
> > - turning "remote scan" off and on is not enough;
> > - turning the device off and on (with subsequent
> >   selection of scan mode plus "remote scan") helps;
> > - scanimage would hang the same after xsane;
> > - several consecutive scans using a running xsane
> >   instance are OK (e.g., different density).

Seems like 8c51579..0655b05 have changed things a bit for 1133,
I've spotted this behaviour now:

- scanimage; scanimage // OK
- xsane // preview stuck, power cycle
- scanimage; scanimage // OK
- xsane // preview stuck, read Rolf's cable replug notice, ok
- scanimage; scanimage // OK again
- xsane // now scan instead of preview -- worked!
- xsane // preview stuck again

> > 6140 also exhibited weird behaviour at 600dpi (the sound's also
> > different from 75/150/300 which scanned just fine): the head
> > might have been hitting the edge for a second or two with the
> > result being gray bands along the scanning direction at the end
> > of the file, I've uploaded a (8Kx5K) sample here just in case:
> > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF6140dn-xsane-600dpi.jpeg

This holds; the scans are also strictly one-time, I've not been
able to find a scanimage/xsane (both starting with preview or not)
combos that wouldn't hang reliably until USB cable is replugged
between libsane clients' invocations.

> > 1133 didn't hit that (the 600dpi sound is also different) but the
> > image quality suffers from some kind of a "cellular" effect, see
> > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-iR1133iF-xsane-600dpi.jpeg
> > (300dpi and lower are fine though).

This seems to have disappeared as of commit 0655b05.

Phew, gotta go home finally :-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info