[sane-devel] Canon LIDE 220

John S. Weber jweber53 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 21:04:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

I recently purchased a Canon LIDE 220 as it was claimed to be support by
sane. I put the USB code (04a9:190f) into the Scanner Search Engine at the
sane.org and it yielded this page which says support is complete.

http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=&model=&bus=any&v=04a9&p=190f

It was not found by the sane shipped with Ubuntu 15.04, so I installed this
ppa:

ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git

And updated. The scanned was then recognized by the xsane, et al. It mostly
gave errors alluding to an invalid device. When it did try to scan, the
head would go to the far end and required unplugging the USB cable to get
it to stop banging at the end. Sometimes, not often, it would work fine. I
did a bunch of reading and I was able to fix things by setting sane debug
variables. One site suggested this and it worked:

export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255
export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_LOW=255
export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_GL124=255
scanimage -d genesys -l 0.0 -t 0.0 -x 90 -y 140 --resolution 1200  --mode
Color >scan.pnm 2>scan.log

I've narrowed it down to just

export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_LOW=8

>From my reading, I believe there is a race condition more exposed by faster
hardware. I have new, fast hardware. My libsane version
is 1.0.25-git20150612-vivid0 on Ubuntu 15.04.

At this point the scanner is working reliably with no bad behavior.

I am having one issue which seems like a driver bug. Using Xsane through
gimp, set to grayscale 300 and 1200 dpi, the scan is fine. At 600dpi the
pixel dimension of the scan is correct, but the lengthwise aspect ratio is
stretched so that only maybe 2/3 of a letter size is actually scanned and
it's stretched to letter size. The scanner head only moves across the top
~2/3 of the scanned page.

Let me know what other info I can provide, or if there's already an answer
that I've missed, I'll be glad to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,
John