[sane-devel] General advice for compiling & installing sane and switching between versions

Paul Newall p.newalls at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 14 17:38:24 UTC 2015

Looking back at the thread started by Rafe about installing and then
getting the latest version to be the version used....

I think we may need to update some advice pages, and perhaps some sane
documentation? In particular this page:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompileSaneFromSource

says Discover where your existing sane is installed :

        sudo find /usr/lib -name 'libsane-dll.so'

But this did not work for Rafe, and does not now work for me on my ubuntu 14.10
Now it seems that
       find /usr -name 'libsane.s*'
Will detect existing sane installations. But is that the best distro independent way to detect them?
(And is the file libsane-dll.so part of a sane installation anymore?)

Also in
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompileSaneFromSource

There is advice on switching between versions of sane which says to edit/etc/ld.so.conf

    To use the old version it should read
    include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
    include /usr/lib

    To use the new version, change it to
    include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
    include /usr/local/lib

    Then run    sudo ldconfig and you should be running the latest sane.

Now that seems very oversimplified because the many *.conf files in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/
Can point to where sane is.
I don't think I understand all this enough to give reliable advice,
particularly for distros other than the one I am using.

Does anyone have ideas about how we should in general:
Detect all existing sane installations.
Advise what parameters to give to ./configure
Advise how to switch between multiple installations.