[sane-devel] How to enable scanning on a Canon all-in-one printer?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Mar 16 23:15:08 UTC 2015

Alan McConnell writes:

> Assembled Wisdom!
>
> I am sure that this question has a simple answer.  My situation:
> I bought a Canon imageCLASS MF4770n all-in-one
> printer(scanner/copier/fax) on Friday.  It took me a while to get
> my CUPS and lpadmin commands so that it would print, but thanks
> to the documentation provided by Canon to Linux users, it now
> prints just fine.  I would like it to scan also, and I'm having
> trouble.  I think my "sane back end" is not configured properly.
>
> I have run  sane-find-scanner  and my result is:
>   found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon Inc], product=0x2774
>   [MF4700 Series]) at libusb:001:004
> However, scanimage -L  reports: "No scanners were identified. . . ."
> So something is awry.
>
> As confirmation, I have checked  http://www.sane-project.org/  for
> Supported devices and my all-in-one given above is indeed on that
> list.
>
> I have simple-scan installed, but when run it can't find the scanner.
>
> I am running Debian Wheezy.

Which is two sane-backend releases behind.  Changes are you just need a
newer version of the libsane package.  IIRC, the version from Jessie
installs without any problems on Wheezy.

If that doesn't work, you might give the daily git snapshot packages
provided by Rolf Bensch a spin.  See

  https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git

Methinks, the packages for precise should work on Wheezy.

> Thanks in advance for anticipated assistance!

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962