[sane-devel] How to enable scanning on a Canon all-in-one printer?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Mar 17 23:04:52 UTC 2015

Alan McConnell writes:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 08:15:08AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Alan McConnell writes:
>>
>> > Assembled Wisdom!
>> >
>> > I am sure that this question has a simple answer.  My situation:
>> > I bought a Canon imageCLASS MF4770n all-in-one
>> > printer(scanner/copier/fax) on Friday.  It took me a while to get
>> > my CUPS and lpadmin commands so that it would print, but thanks
>> > to the documentation provided by Canon to Linux users, it now
>> > prints just fine.  I would like it to scan also, and I'm having
>> > trouble.  I think my "sane back end" is not configured properly.
>> >
>> > I have run  sane-find-scanner  and my result is:
>> >   found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon Inc], product=0x2774
>> >   [MF4700 Series]) at libusb:001:004
>> > However, scanimage -L  reports: "No scanners were identified. . . ."
>> > So something is awry.
>> >
>> > As confirmation, I have checked  http://www.sane-project.org/  for
>> > Supported devices and my all-in-one given above is indeed on that
>> > list.
>> >
>> > I have simple-scan installed, but when run it can't find the scanner.
>> >
>> > I am running Debian Wheezy.
>>
>> Which is two sane-backend releases behind.  Changes are you just need a
>> newer version of the libsane package.  IIRC, the version from Jessie
>> installs without any problems on Wheezy.
>   	   First of all: thank you for your response.
>
> 	   Second: there are no backports for either libsane or
> 	   sane-backends.

I didn't mean a package from wheezy-backports, I meant a package from
jessie's main.

I assume you want to stay on Debian' stable release, so

  echo 'APT:Default-Release "stable";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

if you haven't done so already.  Next

  echo 'deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list

and

  apt-get update
  apt-get install libsane=1.0.24

should get you there, in principle.  All commands should be run with
root privileges, and, no, I haven't tested this.

> 	   Third:  it is difficult for me to believe that there is
> 	   no way for a variant of a very well-known firm, Canon,
> 	   to have its particular modus operandi identified.
> 	   I would hope that the information given by sane-find-scanner:
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon Inc], product=0x2774
> [MF4700 Series]) at libusb:001:004
>
> 	   would be sufficient to add the support for this particular
> 	   Canon all-in-one to my present libsane.

As Allan has already stated in a separate message, it takes a lot more
than just that and, fortunately for you, that has been done already.

> I should add: running scanimage --version yiels:
>        scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.22; backend version 1.0.22

The latest version is 1.0.24.

>    	  I reiterate my call for help!

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962