[sane-devel] classic(linux): sane-find-scanners finds a scanner, but scanimage -L doesn't...

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 11:26:56 UTC 2015

Sorry for your troubles.

Note the MP630 is supported by the pixma backend, not by the canon630u
backend. So, make sure the pixma backend is enabled in dll.conf, and
has the correct usb ids in it, and remove that ID you added to
canon630u.conf.

Then try running the following command as root:

SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11 scanimage -L 2>mp630.log

then lets have a look at that mp630.log, and see what we can find.

allan

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 5:12 AM, Branko <brankob at s5tehnika.net> wrote:
> This is getting to be seriously annoying, repetitive PITA.
>
> I have multifunction Canon MP630. Sane used to work fine with its scanner,
> but now after everything went to libusb, I can't make it work.
>
> And this is not the first time and just with this model, it looks more like
> prevailing problem.
>
> There is no troblesshooting help worth speaking about on project's page.
>
> I have found some old claims about need for usbfs mount, but new kernels ( I
> am using 3.19.2) don't offer this anymore.
>
> My system is Gentoo 64-bit, I have sane-backends-1.0.24, compiled with
> libusb support. libusb version is 1.0.19.
>
> sane-find-scanner gets me:
>
> "found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x172e [MP630 series]) at
> libusb:002:004"
>
> but "scanimage -L" immediately after that says:
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>
> And yes, I did check canon630u.conf file and enabled canon630u backend in
> dll.conf
>
> canon630u.conf contains one uncommented line:
>
> usb 0x04a9 0x172e
>
> which corresponds to report of sane-find-scanners

of my hand"