[sane-devel] Epson Perfection V800 error

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu May 14 04:22:25 UTC 2015

m. allan noah writes:

> Stef did some work a few years ago on sanei_configure_attach, which
> might fill the need.

I may take a look.  The thing is that backend configuration and device
detection are two separate things.  The epson2 backend doesn't read its
configuration file unless you do device detection.  That smells.

> In the short term, I will say that my backends all call
> sane_get_devices inside sane_open if there is no cached list of
> devices.

There should be no need to do that.  You either open the device that was
passed or the first supported device you find if the default was
requested.  There is no point in trying to find all the the available,
supported devices in sane_open().  It would seriously suck if a call to
sane_open() for a *specific* device would end up doing, for example, a
broadcast for networked devices on a reasonably sized subnet with a ten
seconds timeout.

My two yen,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962