[sane-devel] Portbility problems with sane 1.0.25

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Tue Oct 20 13:11:56 UTC 2015

Hi Luiz,

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca writes:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the new release! It merged most of the patches I kept in order
> to compile for OpenWRT. However, I still faced some new and old problems:
>
> a) backend/pieusb_buffer.c (most of the problems)

This file was only added a good month before the release, so, yes, there
are probably a few portability glitches.  Could you file bug reports with
Alioth for each of these issues so we won't forget?

> a.1) it uses mkostemp without checking its presence.
> a.2) le16toh is always redefined, which gives me a "redefined warning".
> a.3) if mmap is not found, it generates a compile error

With regard to

> b) missing includes for sys/types.h (uchar and ulong)
>
> This is an old problem still not fixed.

This will pop up everytime someone uses these types because, IMHO, the
./configure jobs only does half a job and leaves everyone in the dark as
to whether you may need to include <sys/types.h>.

> Each problematic file might need something like:
>
> #if defined(HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H)
> # include <sys/types.h>
> #endif

And then you may still have a problem is HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H is undefined.
Is using an ill-defined convenience typedef (or #define, who knows?) to
save a couple of keystrokes worth this kind of trouble?

> which is already used in some files

Some?  That's an understatement ;-)

> or it could be added to sane/config.h (bruteforce solution).

I don't like that brute force approach.  I'm inclined to use some brute
force `sed` instead ;-)

Hope this helps,
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation
https://my.fsf.org/donate                        https://my.fsf.org/join