[sane-devel] 1.0.25 is out, now what?

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Wed Oct 21 12:42:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 21:32:37 +0900
Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> don't have direct access to a device.  Maybe we could think about how to
> approach manufacturers to get access to specs and/or devices (and under
> what conditions because we still want to be able to release source

 Tried many times. Nikon gives out some speca but only
 for a few devices. too less of a market for them.

> >  Infrared support could be finally enabled as well. my own
> >  tiffscan frontend already handles it and I had some
> >  good results using it with coolscan3 and doing
> >  IR scratch removal with vuescan directly on the produced tiff files.
>
> IR support?  I knew you were gonna bring that up ;-) but that's a SANE

 I'm not so much interested anymore, I converted my old
 slides a long time ago and my setup works correctly, but I still
 get requests from time to time.

> API change.  Given the schedule for 1.0.26, I don't think that is doable
> within that time frame.  If we are going to change the API, there are
> probably a *lot* of things we should work out before we can commit to

 luckily we have only a few frontends to check for and most of
 them will correctly bail out when given an unknown frame type.

 given that there are a very few users that would try it I do not
 think we will be receiving a lot of reports of bad frontends.

 once xsane, scanimage, gimp and a few others have been verified
 to work we'd have covered the vast majority

> anything.  One of those things would be a clearly documented mechanism
> for API changes so that backends *and* frontends can deal with them in a
> graceful and sane manner (pun intended) and changes can be made in a

 I haven't checked but I think that it's written somewhere that a frontend
 should correctly behave when given an unknown frame type.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo - CEO,
  Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy