[sane-devel] 1.0.25 is out, now what?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Oct 28 12:57:12 UTC 2015

Hello

On Oct 28 20:18 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote (excerpt):
> Johannes Meixner writes:
>> Suggestion for an additional goal for sane-backends-1.0.26:
>>
>> - drop support for parallel port scanners
>
> Low priority for 1.0.26 at best.

Also for me this is low priority because I have zero
issue reports regarding parallel port scanners.

I will report my experience when I have droped support
for parallel port scanners in openSUSE Tumbleweed.

> But your suggestion made me think of
> something more important:
>
> - integrate distribution patches

The openSUSE patches are public available via the
openSUSE Build Service (OBS) development project "graphics"
therein the source package "sane-backends" at
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/graphics/sane-backends

Currently the only patch which is of interest for
SANE upstream is dell1600n_net-fix-strncat.patch
which is already fixed at SANE upstream
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=315198&group_id=30186&atid=410366

All others are only for SUSE-specific needs.

>> RFC for an additional goal for sane-backends-1.0.26:
>>
>> - switch to group "lp" instead of "scanner"
> I think it best to leave this to the individual distributions to decide.

My hope is that the individual distributions might even be able
to agree on a common default so that all Linux users could have
the same default base of operations.

> What can be done fairly easily, however, is to make it easier for them
> to override/customize the DEVMODE, DEVOWNER and DEVGROUP values in
> tools/sane-desc.c.

Perhaps a configure option to specify that would be nice?

> FYI, Debian has
>
>  ENV{libsane_matched}=="yes", RUN+="/bin/setfacl -m g:scanner:rw $env{DEVNAME}"

I like to understand the reson behind why Debian uses
the "scanner" group.

Is it that for Debian use of consumables (paper and ink/toner)
in a printer is more strictly controlled than scanners?

Regardless what the reason is, I also like to understand how
Debian deals with multifunction devices because - as far as
I understand it - there is the conflict that multifunction devices
would have to belong both to the "lp" and the "scanner" group.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)