[sane-devel] plustek backend failing to open device under non-root

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Sep 12 04:02:45 UTC 2015

Yury Tarasievich writes:

> [snip]
> The point is the software actually somehow fails
> to open a lock file in /var/lock/sane, which
> must involve some subtlety in my system. Like,
> why does the device node get its group owner set
> to 'lp'?

Re the `lp` group assignment, this may be caused by an ordering issue in
the udev rules files on your system.  I've recently come across somthing
similar where a third party's udev rules ended up *before* udev's default
rules.  The latter clobbered settings from the former.

If the libsane.rules file sorts before your system's udev-default rules,
try moving it after that file.  See the udev manual page for info on how
the files are sorted and where they can be found.

Hope this helps,
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation
https://my.fsf.org/donate                        https://my.fsf.org/join