[sane-devel] Disabling epson backend build

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Sep 13 01:51:57 UTC 2015

Alessandro Zummo writes:

> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:15:57 +0900
> Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't know what the various distribution do to the dll.conf file that
>> their packages install, but since the epson backend has been disabled by
>> default for five releases I was thinking to disable the backend's build
>> by default as well.
>
>  That's ok for me.
>
>> I checked the bug tracker but could not find any bugs assigned to the
>> (retired) epson backend maintainer after the backend was disabled in
>> dll.conf.  I did find one bug[1] assigned to you for the epson2 backend
>> for the Perfectinon 610 (which is admittedly rather ancient but the
>> epson2.desc file claims complete support for it!).
>
>  That scanner it's a bit strange, I've had one user report success
>  and that one bug, which reports a failure.
>
>  I'd leave it in the .desc unless we get further complaints.

At least downgrade its :status field to something like :basic.  Don't
claim :complete support when you know certain scan scenarios don't work.

Hope this helps,
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation
https://my.fsf.org/donate                        https://my.fsf.org/join