[sane-devel] Preparing for a sane-backends release

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Sep 14 12:03:28 UTC 2015

Hello Olaf

On Sep 12 17:30 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote (excerpt):
> Johannes Meixner writes:
>> I wonder if support for parallel port scanners is still needed?
>
> Me wonders too.
> You could build your SANE library packages without the backends
> for parallel scanners and see how many bug reports you get.

I think I will do this.

Reason:

Since May 19 2015 I had disabled build for parallel port for
our HPLIP package (HP's printer and scanner drivers) and
up to now I did not get a single question or complaint from
openSUSE Tumbleweed users - Tumbleweed is a rolling release, see
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

In openSUSE 13.2 our HPLIP package has parallel port support.

I assume that openSUSE Tumbleweed users are not too different
compared to openSUSE 13.2 users regarding what kind of
scanners they use so that in the end I assume nobody would
complain when parallel port scanners are no longer supported.

>> As a first step parallel port scanner drivers could be
>> no longer built by default e.g. via something like
>>    configure --without-parport
>> by default.
>
> Having such an option would make the above a lot easier.

I think when there is not yet such an option it is not really
needed to introduce it now for something that will be sooner
or later completely dropped.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)