[sane-devel] PIXMA MG7150 test

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Tue Sep 22 20:48:54 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-09-21 at 21:37 +0200, Kiligolo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Canon PIXMA MG7150. It has an usb port but it's connected to my
> computer via wifi.
>
> The scanner is detected automatically and i can use scanimage -d pixma --
> format=tiff > image.tiff.
> However I usually scan with the scanner buttons and the tactile screen (I'm
> not going to do 9000 two-way trips to scan a file) but the --button-
> controlled option doesn't work (the scanner detects my computer but doesn't
> start the scan) so I can't send the output directly to my computer.
>
> The default resolution (75dpi) is too low for me to read the tiff image, so I
> tested the other ones listed on the scanner screen (600, 300 and 150)  with
> the --resolution option :
>  - 150dpi doesn't work. The output file is corrupteed. scanimage output :
> [bjnp] bjnp_recv_data: could not read response payload (select timed out):
> Success!
> [bjnp] bjnp_recv_data: could not read response payload (select timed out):
> Success!
> [bjnp] bjnp_write: ERROR: scanner data left = 0xee4 = 3812
> [bjnp] bjnp_recv_header:ERROR, Received response has cmd code 235,
> expected 33
> [bjnp] Could not read response to command!
> [bjnp] bjnp_write: ERROR: scanner data left = 0xee4 = 3812
> [bjnp] bjnp_recv_header:ERROR, Received response has cmd code 241,
> expected 33
> [bjnp] Could not read response to command!
> scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O
>
>  - 300dpi works but it takes 5 minutes instead of 10 seconds
>  - 600dpi doesn't work. The output file is cut (the lower part of the sheet is
> missing). scanimage ouptut :
> [bjnp] bjnp_recv_data: could not read response payload (select timed out):
> Success!
> scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O

First a few questions:
- What is the version of sane-backends that you are using?
- Did you try button controlled scanning over USB? The bjnp code
replaces the USB interface when the network scanning is used, but as it
is more complex and less tested than the standard USB code, we like you
to test with USB first, so we know where to look for the issues: in the
pixma backend or in the network code.

I don't recall ever testing button controlled scanning with scanimage,
so I don't know how that works. I doubt if the resolution received from
the scanner is used by scanimage. @Rolf, can you please comment?

Button controlled scanning is not used very often, so even if the
scanner is supported by the backend, the parsing of the buttons may
still be incorrect.
@Rolf Bensch, can you please comment, you know the backend much better
than I do, I only wrote the BJNP network code.

For button controlled scanning I would anyhow recommend setting up
scanbd as that will allow setting the scanner up to continuously poll
the scanner and initiate a scan with the parameters entered on the
scanner and store the result on the computer as often as you press one
of the scan buttons. That will save you many trips from the computer to
the scanner, as you can scan whenever you press a button and the
computer is on

Best regards, Louis