[sane-devel] Error message: Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument

Rene Thomas 1renepaulthomas at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 13:51:48 UTC 2016

Dear fellow XSane users,

Hopefully you can help me work out why my XSane program is returning the
error message "Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument".

I am a novice to the world of open source software, but had managed to
install a copy of XSane v.0.998 onto my laptop, which is running an
Operating System of Linux/Gnu Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr".

The program was working fine with my scanner, an Epson XP-322
printer/scanner device, but a few weeks ago the XSane interface stopped
working.

I can still open the XSane program, and although my various other programs
will still print files using the Epson XP-322, I can't scan or preview
scans any more.

The fault seemed to coincide with when I altered the settings incorrectly
to change the default filenames, but I changed the field with the
floppy-disc symbol back to what it had been and the fault still persisted.

Please can anyone tell me what is the matter and how I can rectify the
problem, preferably in language comprehensible to someone with very little
experience of Linux or Sane/XSane?

Yours,

René Thomas
1renepaulthomas at gmail.com