[sane-devel] Cleanup and small fixes

Volker Diels-Grabsch v at njh.eu
Tue Jan 5 13:29:59 UTC 2016

Hi Olaf,

(Sorry for the previous email.  I overlooked that one.)

Thanks for reviewing my proposals!

Olaf Meeuwissen schrieb:

> * 0001-Fix-typos-in-comments.patch.gz
>
>   There's about 100 other "annoying" `dont`'s you didn't fix ;-), but
>   there is nothing wrong with your patch.

That's strange.  I thought I did a full-text search.  Anyway! :-)

> * 0004-Fix-scope-of-negation.patch.gz
>
>   Why not simply write: if (dev->model->is_sheetfed == SANE_FALSE)?
>   I've skipped your patch and pushed one that does the above.

I wasn't sure if there may be some subtle difference between
"== SANE_FALSE" and "!= SANE_TRUE".  Good to know that it's
really that simple. :-)

> * 0005-Introduce-md5_set_uint32.patch.gz
>
>   Hmm, fixing code that originated from glibc an aeon ago.
>   Maybe we should consider updating with more recent upstreams rather
>   than trying to patch up things ourselves.
>
>   Skipping this for now.

That was my first attempt, too.  Indeed, there are newer versions of
GNUlib!  However, early on, GNUlib's license changed into a strong
copyleft license (GPL or something).  That happened long before they
updated their MD5 implementation.

So if you use a newer GNUlib, sane-backends will effectively have a
stronger license.  I, personally, would have no problem with that.
But I thought it would be inappropriate for a contribution to impose
a different license on a project.

My patch was an attempt to fix exactly that one issue on my own,
isolated, leaving everything else untouched, so that no licensing
issues occur.

Another idea is to use a completely different MD5 implementation.

Regards,
Volker

--
Volker Diels-Grabsch