[sane-devel] Canon Pixma MG5740 Multifunction Printer

Eric&Yvonne maws at cybersmart.co.za
Mon Jul 11 20:53:11 UTC 2016

Hello,
This is my first post to Sane and I trust that I am sending it to the
correct forum.

I have just purchased a Canon Pixma MG5740 and tried to interface it
with my system comprising a Ubuntu 16.04 64bit operating system.
I first connect the device using a USB cable and was able to print but
could not get the scanner to work. Running lsusb resulted in the
following message

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04a9:178e Canon, Inc.

I then tried setting up the device in wifi mode by adding mfnp
://192.168.1.100 to the pixma.conf file. Running scanimage -L produced
this result

[bjnp] udp_command: ERROR - no data received
[bjnp] bjnp_init_device_structure: Cannot read mac address, skipping
this scanner
[bjnp] udp_command: ERROR - no data received
[bjnp] add_scanner: ERROR - Cannot read scanner make & model:
mfnp://192.168.1.100:8610
I confirmed that the address 192.168.1.100 is correct for the MG5740

I can access the printer in both USB and WIFI mode.
Any advice on how I may resolve the scanner issue would be much appreciated.
Eric