[sane-devel] Canon 9000f MKII -- or other comparable scanner?

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 19:03:01 UTC 2016

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 10:29:01AM +0100, James Tappin wrote:
>   Thanks for the reports. I've ordered one -- the colour base mentioned by
>   one is actually not likely to be a major issue as most of my film
>   photography is monochrome.

I do not think I've had any issues with color problems, except when scanning
negatives and this is a software frontend issue, not a hardware issue.

When scanning black and white photographs, scan using the full color range.
(ie. 48 bit color)  Resolution DPI will probably be set at 600 or 1200 DPI for
regular size photographs.  If you're scanning the small (older) wallet sized
photos, might want to increase the resolution DPI higher, due to the smaller
size, you can afford to increase the file size significantly and this would
likely be desirable for magnification as well.  Resolution DPI is based upon
your final output print size, and I usually use a value resulting in a
desirable file size.

I tend to use VueScan for photographs, and the typical guideline is to scan the
raw photograph or negative using no color adjustments such as "auto levels" or
"auto white balance".  It has been stated third party image applications (ie.
The Gimp, Adobe Photoshop, ...) can perform a much better job with auto levels
and auto white balance, so getting the raw photo with no adjustments into
digital format is a priority.

For negatives; the most I allow the software frontends to perform, I'll lock in
the color mask to prevent the orange hue of the negative.  I'll also make use
of infrared scratch detection if available, as it is in VueScan.  But even
then, I'll scan raw in VueScan saving to an image format without infrared
filtering applied, and then rescan the raw image files again.  And then I'll
archive the raw files, including final scans or resulting digital images after
processing with The Gimp.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/