[sane-devel] pixma 5300 series not working because of sanei_bjnp_open return status

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Jun 19 02:22:45 UTC 2016

Louis Lagendijk writes:

> On Sat, 2016-06-18 at 10:14 +0200, Martin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for someone to merge the proposed change to upstream in
>> https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=315219&gr
>> oup_id=30186&atid=410366
>>
>> So we can get a new package/release and make the 5300's scanner to
>> work
>> again !
>>
>> It doesn't work in ubuntu since a long time now :
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+bug/1526198
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> this bug has been fixed in git for almost a year and was included in
> the 1.0.25 release of sane. Are you using 1.0.25 or a git checkout? If
> so, this issue cannot be the reason for the fault you are seeing.....

I assume Martin is using the libsane package from Ubuntu.

Unfortunately, that package has a *very* misleading version number (in
wily, xenial and yakkety).  It reads: 1.0.25+git20150528-1ubuntu2.  This
gives the impression that you're using something *after* the 1.0.25
release while in fact you are using something from the git repository
*before* the 1.0.25 release.

In terms of Debian/Ubuntu versioning, the package should be using:

  1.0.25~git20150528-1ubuntu2

Part of the confusion is probably to blame on the way we specify the
version in configure.ac.

As for Martin's problem, that was fixed on 20150627 so it's not in the
regular Ubuntu package.  The easiest way to solve this would probably be
to use the *snapshot* packages from Rolf's PPA

  https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git

@Rolf> You may want to change the versioning of your packages to use the
       tilde (~) too.  That way, an official 1.0.26 will take precedence
       when available.

Hope this helps,