[sane-devel] Scanner Lide 210 working with old and bleeding edge distro, but not with current stable distro

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Mar 3 10:21:47 UTC 2016

Hello,

first and foremost many thanks for your feedback.

Such feedback happens not always. When it is missing, it
leaves the others with unanswered questions what the heck
could be wrong why something fails for one particular user.

On Mar 2 18:46 Sebastian Weber wrote (excerpt):
> Though I reinstalled all sane components and also the Kernel
> and other components, I didn't manage to get my scanner working.
> As a last resort, I did a clean re-installation of the entire
> operating system. My scanner worked out of the box...

What exactly does "clean" mean here?

Did you perhaps use various kind of additional
non-openSUSE:Leap:42.1 software repositories?

If yes, software packages from non-openSUSE:Leap:42.1
repositories could have messed up something.

But if you used only openSUSE:Leap:42.1 software repositories
it would be stange and unexpected and also a bit scaring
because I would not like what that could mean in the end:

  "When something does not work and you don't find
   a solution, just try a complete re-installation
   of your entire operating system from scratch."

Again:
It makes a crucial difference whether or not you used
only openSUSE:Leap:42.1 software repositories.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)