[sane-devel] Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Problems

simon simon at strive.io
Sat Mar 5 22:15:06 UTC 2016

I am unable to scan with my S1500. Linux 'sort of' sees the scanner, but
diagostics, command line scan utilities and the front ends fail.

I am running Linux Mint 17.1. I had a shot at getting this working about 6
months ago and failed. I am not sure what I installed back then but
obviously it was SANE and I think the fujitsu back end (Which, incidentally,
is offline at the moment - www.thebility.com/fujitsu). I *think* SimpleScan
is preinstalled on Mint, but in any event, I have it. On my second shot at
it today, I installed XSane. I also added my account to the scanner group
which I read was required then rebooted. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. Open the scanner lid (Which seems to send a notification through the USB
to the notebook. At least, that's what it does on Windows).
2. Start Simple Scan. It recognizes the scanner make and model.
3. I press 'Scan'. The error I get is 'Unable to connect to scanner'.
4. Press the scan button on the scanner. It flashes and nothing happens.
Usually a sign that it isn't connected.

Next, I repeated step 1, then.
2. Started XSane. It looks for the scanner, then comes up with the message
"No devices available."

Next, I opened a terminal window and ran sane-find-scanner:

Then I tried is as root:

Then I exited back to my own username and tried it again with a more verbose
output. This time, the scanner was seen, but there were still errors:

So what does this mean? It 'sort of' sees it?

BTW, in my /etc/sane.d/dll.conf file, fujitsu is not commented out. And
there is a fujitsu.conf file in this directory with the entries:

Which is consistent with the addresses for the S1500 for Fujitsu on the
SANE.org site.

What are the next diagnostic steps I can take?