[sane-devel] external backend license

ky gcp kygcpsample at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 02:43:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

I hope someone have answers to my licensing concern. Based on the text for
the exception, they put an exception into the GPL license so that it acts
like the LGPL license. This allows linking (probably dynamic) against the
library, but would not cover compiling directly with the code.

1) If we compile our external backend with the sane-backends source, does
it cover the exception? or does it mean that our external backend should
automatically be shipped under GPL license?

2) Is it possible to compile an external backend without the sane-backends
source?

3) Is there a developers guide for SANE external backends that says that
you should compile directly with the sane-backends source?

Thank you for your support.