[sane-devel] no (Samsung) scanner found

Milan Hronský milan.hronsky at gmail.com
Tue May 3 18:06:31 UTC 2016

Dear Sirs,

I am a linux beginner. In my part time I develop some DB applications on Postres database, so I took chance and learn a bit of linux my little home comp. Odroid XU3, running Ubuntu 14.04.
Recently I bought a network printer/scanner Samsung M2070WF for my family. Unfortunately, Samsung does not support drivers for ARM architecture. I can print with the standard Generic PCL Laser driver over the network, but no scanning for the moment...
Later I found out that Samsung references xsan software in my owner's manual:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201512/20151211090911840/EN/English/English/manual/CACBDIAA.htm?isTocLink=opened
(Please navigate yourself to: advanced -> special features -> scan feature, and search for "Linux scanning")

So I downloaded and installed the following SW onto my Odroid: sane-backends-1.0.25, xsane-0.999.
Unfortunately, xsan stopps with error just after starting (see attached no_scanner.png).

I went through the document sane-backends-1.0.25/README.linux and performed the steps 3.1, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2 (see attached readme_shell.png), but neither the backend SW could identify my scanner. As I could realize, my user is in the group scanner, and the SW versions are matching so far.
As I am having a network scanner, I changed usr/local/etc/sane.d/net.conf (see attached), but this did not help either.
I did not find any direct match for my device on your web:
http://sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=Samsung&model=M+2070&bus=any&v=&p=
, but some Samsung models are listed on
http://sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-SAMSUNG
, but no M2070. This just confirms my older information that Samsung does not support ARM
(Caution: Your external link http://http://product.samsung.com/... does not work.)
Does Samsung lie in his manual, or should I additionally install something... like scsi/sg driver?

I would be very grateful, if you can help me.
Thank you in advance and kind regards

Milan Hronský