[sane-devel] Need sane docs

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Tue May 3 20:45:58 UTC 2016

ON-TOPIC REPLY: You may require two separate drivers, one for the USB
connection and another driver for the network connected device.  And separate
drivers for the printer & scanner functions.  Albeit, they are sometimes
bundled together by manufacturer.  (ie. HP's HPLIP package)

OFF-TOPIC REPLY: I'm seeing quite a few posts for network scanners/printers.

I used to use 100 Megabit network for printing some years ago, and particularly
preferred networked products due to the having the device more remotely placed
from the computer.  (Hey, it's the UNIX/Linux world here.)  Recently within the
past years, I found using 100Mbit network was really just too slow, and found
myself waiting for print jobs to clear the printer queue.

I've since migrated to USB over the past year(s) for my printer; I just use the
longest USB cord now.  I have no experience with 1 Gigabit network capable
printers.  Speeds maybe more acceptable using Gigabit for printing, but I doubt
for scanning.  (For draft quality printing using an HP printer, I've even opted
to use the faster PCL driver instead of PS driver.)

As far as scanners, the speed will likely be exponentially affected due to the
larger amounts of data.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/