[sane-devel] "No: command not found" when building sane-backends

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Sep 18 03:25:09 UTC 2016

Tristan Miller writes:

> Greetings.
>
> On Saturday, September 17, 2016 3:37:26 PM CEST m. allan noah wrote:
>> Hmm, sounds like fig2dev is missing on your machine, and we mistakenly
>> tested for it and let the string 'no' sneak thru when it was not
>> found. Looks like Olaf worked on this in cc8f99b9

I don't think that that's what caused it.  I think it was introduced in
79c62362 in combination with changes in newer versions of the autotools.

> Thanks for the tip.  I installed fig2dev (via my distribution's transfig
> package) but the build still fails:
>
> Making all in doc
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/psy/git/sane-backends/doc'
> Generating sane.pdf from sane.tex...
> TEXINPUTS=".:.:$TEXINPUTS" no ./sane.tex
> /bin/sh: no: command not found
> Makefile:992: recipe for target 'sane-html' failed
>
> Looks like this time the Makefile has ungracefully failed because dlh is
> missing.  Installing dlh fixes this second problem.
>
> Should I file a bug report for these problems?

There is one already ;-)  Have a look at 315435[1]

 [1] https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=315435&group_id=30186&atid=410366

Did you by any chance run autoreconf?  If so, could you check whether
this is reproducible with a clean checkout?  Like so

  git stash
  ./configure [options]
  make

If you can reproduce with a clean checkout then either I messed up in
79c62362 or your distribution is playing tricks on me.

Hmm, just checked the links you mentioned in your first posts and now
get the feeling I just may have forgotten to consider the case where
HTML documentation is requested, whether explicitly or not, when the
tools are not available ...

Looks like 79c62362 needs a fix after all :-(

Hope this helps,