[sane-devel] [Janitorial] Zero(!) compiler warnings

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 15:47:50 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Olaf Meeuwissen
<paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> About a year ago, I set out trying to get rid of *all* compiler warnings
> on a "well-defined" build platform.  I'm happy to report that we've made
> it!  With the commit of ee550e5d[1], the debian-8-full build[2], is free
> of compiler warnings!

My goodness! Now how will I know if the build is working, without all
the noise :) Nice work!

> ... next are four linker warnings about the use of `mktemp`, which, as
> we all know, is racey and should be avoided.  Like the plague, so I'd
> like to see these get fixed.
>
> # I have a patch for the avision backend already.  By all means, tackle
> # any of the canon, canon_dr and dc25 backends' use of mktemp.

Note: it is canon that is busted, canon_dr does not use mktemp.

I'm not sure if any of these four backends are maintained anymore.

Any thoughts on sending some kind of email to a committer, or to a
mailing list when we trip that -Werror?

allan
of my hand"