[sane-devel] Issue with libsane 1.0.27+git20170719-xenial0 and Canon PIXMA MX495

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed Aug 2 12:11:01 UTC 2017

Hi Jean,

Since I got mentioned by name ;-), you may want to look into using git's
bisect subcommand.  If that sounds/looks to complicated, you can do it
by hand as well.  First find the sha1-id for the version that works for
you.  Then using that sha1-id, create a list of the ones you might need
to check with

  git log --oneline <sha1-id>..HEAD -- backend/pixma*

Then check out the sha1-id in the middle, check whether that works.  If
it does, you can drop the bottom half of you list.  If it doesn't, you
can drop the top half.  Repeat this until you find the first sha1-id for
which things no longer work for you after the one for which things still
work.

I just ran the above command for the sha1-id corresponding to our 1.0.25
release and there are only ten changes to the pixma code.  So at worst,
you need to try four times.  It's a bit faster than doing them one at a
time ;-)

# Apologies if you already know what bisecting is.