[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA MX725: ADF scan duplex and automatic recognition of number of pages

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Wed Aug 2 18:05:23 UTC 2017

Hi Timo,

First, we should enable your Ubuntu system to scan via flatbed, adf
simple and adf duplex. Sorry, I have no experiences scanning adf pages
from scanimage in batch mode. Therefore we should start using gsan2pdf.

Maybe somebody on the list can provide running scanimage batch mode
calls for pixma scanners using adf simple and adf duplex.

To make sure using the most recent version you should install SANE from
my ppa: https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git . OK,
you can stay using your self compiled version on Ubuntu, if you followed
the installation instructions from INSTALL.linux.

The ppa should also provide the recent SANE version for your rasp pi
(armhf or arm64; the packet manager should select the correct version).

OK, after installing (and removing a cruddy self compiled version: $
sudo make uninstall) the most recent version of SANE, you can create a
logfile on a console with, e.g.:

$ SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11 gscan2pdf &> pixma.log

On your raspberry pi (and Ubuntu) you can use this corresponding command
for scanimage:

$ SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11 scanimage [options] &> pixma.log

Maybe we need to debug and fix some issues on your Ubuntu machine first.

Second, if all scan types are running with gscan2pdf we can find a
working scanimage command which then can be simply adapted into your
raspberry pi.

Please provide the logfile of a failed scan in an archive, e.g. tar.gz,
zip or 7z.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rolf