[sane-devel] Need Help getting Canon ImageClass MF244dw working

Curtis Graham jcg.computertech at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 13:56:46 UTC 2017

Dave,

Thank you very much, it did work, I used this.

What you would need to do:

        (download the tarball)
        md5sum sane-backends-1.0.27.tar.gz

        (make sure this reports b10a08785f92a4c07ad961f4d843c934)

        tar xfa sane-backends-1.0.27.tar.gz
        cd sane-backends-1.0.27
        sudo apt-get build-dep libsane
        sudo apt-get install build-essentials
        ./configure

        (this should tell you that it's going to install into
         /usr/local/ subdirectories)

        make

        (this should build all of the backends)

At this point you have a bunch of ways you can go about installing.

If you look in "./.libs/" you should find ./.libs/libsane-pixma.so
which is the newly-build version of the Pixma backend.

You can do a "sudo make install" which will install all of the SANE
libraries and back-ends into /usr/local/lib/sane/ and install a bunch
of new configuration files into /usr/local/etc/sane.d/.  That may work
although I can't guarantee that the loader will find those new
libraries since you've already got the standard Debian versions
installed.

I noticed that synaptic still shows libsane at 1.0.25, but obviously there
are a lot more files listed in /ect/sane.d than before. So all I did was
hop back into net.conf and added my network location for my scanner and I
am back up and running wireless scanning.

I did notice that I do not have the same tweaks that Rolf and I had worked
on on his ppa. I am guessing that his ppa gets updated more than the
regular sane backend.

One last question. Is the folder that gets extracted for building
(sane-backends-1.0.27)
tied to anything, or can it be removed?

Thank You
Curtis