[sane-devel] Need Help getting Canon ImageClass MF244dw working

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Aug 12 03:46:40 UTC 2017

Dave Platt writes:

>> Dave,
>>
>> Thank you very much, it did work, I used this.
>
> You're quite welcome!
>
>> I did notice that I do not have the same tweaks that Rolf and I had worked
>> on on his ppa. I am guessing that his ppa gets updated more than the
>> regular sane backend.
>
> He may be building from a custom tree, or one which is based on the
> current top-of-branch development code at the SANE repository.

Rolf's PPA builds from the nightly `git archive` tarball but does apply
some Ubuntu inspired patches for better distro integration (as do *any*
of the official packages of any Linux distribution).

> There have been a number of changes committed to the repo since
> 1.0.27 was released, I believe, and you would not have found any of
> those in the 1.0.27 tarball you downloaded.
>
>> One last question. Is the folder that gets extracted for building
>> (sane-backends-1.0.27)
>> tied to anything, or can it be removed?
>
> You should be able to remove it.  Once the files are installed in
> /usr/local/ there won't be any back-links to the source or build
> directories.

If you want to do a `make uninstall` later, when the official packages
have fixed the problem for example, you might want to keep it around
though.

Hope this helps,