[sane-devel] Reflecta DigiDia 5000 not found

Dave Platt dplatt at radagast.org
Wed Dec 27 14:55:11 UTC 2017

>> The next problem to solve is to find a suitable ICM file for this
>> scanner.  Colors are still too dark and incorrect
>
>Happened to all of my slides too. I used gimp to normalize colors and
>had spectacular results.
>
>I don't know if SANE has any color-correction build in.

Some of the SANE frontends can attach an ICM profile to an image
during the scanning process.  This will allow for a fairly automatic
correction during display, and GIMP can automatically transform the
colors to a standard color-space when it loads the image if you wish.

The DigitDia 5000 may have originally been sold with an individual
profile based on an IT8 target image on a Kodak slide.  If this file isn't
available, or of you want to scan slide made on a different brand or
type of transparency, you will need to make a custom profile by
scanning a reference target.  Argyll CMS can process the resulting scan,
using the target reference data provided by the maker of the target, and
create a good profile for that individual scanner when used with that
particular type of transparency film.

A similar process can be done for reflective (e.g. flatbed) scanners.

http://www.targets.coloraid.de is one possible source for targets.

This process takes a bit of time and money but it's well worth doing.