[sane-devel] 16-bit colour in new GIMP

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Tue Feb 14 12:32:51 UTC 2017

Hi Vopros,

Vopros writes:

> Hello. Can anybody explain what do I need to do with XSane and
> xscanimage to be able to scan in 16-bit directly from GIMP? xscanimage
> can scan in 16 bit and save the images, unstable GIMP can work with
> them, but it only sees the plugin transferring INT32 data. How do I make
> them work together?

The SANE API only provides image data in SANE_Byte buffers.  The GIMP
SANE plugin code would have to convert that to whatever format the GIMP
expects for 16-bit RGB (or grayscale).

> Gentoo Linux, AMD64, media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.25-r1,
> media-gfx/sane-frontends-1.0.14, media-gfx/gimp-2.9.4-r2.

FYI, the xscanimage GIMP plugin source bits haven't been touched for
over a decade (to cater to gimp-1.2).  You may be facing somewhat of
an uphill battle there :-(

Hope this helps,