[sane-devel] Avision AV210D2+ segfaulting

René Rebe rene at exactcode.com
Tue Jan 17 15:10:07 UTC 2017

Hi,
On Jan 16, 2017, at 19:03, m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Always start with an upgrade to a current git repo checkout. There has
> been some work on the avision backend recently, and you might get
> lucky.

Yes,

someone made changes for some HP half duplex scanner, and segfaulted like every other scanner since then, … I think I fixed that last year or so, ...

> [...]
>> file is no longer active. That was going to be my next recourse if noone on
>> this list had any fruitful suggestions.
>>
>> Hopefully I can come up with a solution before CentOS7 goes live.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve
>>

>> On 01/14/2017 05:30 AM, Wolf Drechsel wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> just my 2cts:
>> I'm suffering from a "avision" problem as well - we seem to be quite a bit
>> lost at the moment, as far as I understood, the avision backend does not
>> have a maintainer at the moment.
>>
>> An ugly workaround for me is to scan from my laptop which is running debian
>> 8.6 now - I do not have any problems scanning with that machine. Maybe you
>> want to give a debian live system a try?
>>
>> My guess (but I do not know anything about programming) is that in the last
>> few years USB timing was changed, so older kernels work better than newer
>> ones. I read that CentOS is using a comparatively old kernel, but with quite
>> a lot of patches - can those cause the harm?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Wolf
>>
>> Am Freitag, den 13.01.2017, 09:26 -0500 schrieb skerr:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I am having an issue when trying to use a Avision AV210D2+ scanner.
>> I am running CentOS 7.2 using sane-backends 1.0.24.
>>
>> fujitsu fi-6130z and 7160 both work fine on the same platform.
>>
>> USB 3 is turned off in the bios and lsusb -t shows the scanner is using the
>> ehci-pc usb module.
>>
>> The scanner is seen properly by sane-find-scanner  and scanimage -L.
>> device `avision:libusb:002:032' is a Avision AV210D2+ sheetfed scanner
>>
>> When attempting to scan a documents, scanimage -d avision >test.jpg the
>> console error message
>> is segmentation fault. dmesg shows  segfault at 7fa93c82a9d0 ip
>> 00007fa94a2a1de0 sp  00007fff384ef888 error 4 in
>> libpthread-2.17.so[7fa94a299000+17000]
>>
>> Some things I have tried:
>> - passing various supported geometry and resolution options to scanimage .
>> - removing all backends from dll.conf except for avision
>> - rotated amongst all usb ports
>> - bios update to workstation
>>

>> ________________________________
>> This email was scanned by Bitdefender.
>>

>> ________________________________
>> The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the
>> confidential use of the recipient/recipients named above. If the reader of
>> this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
>> delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
>> have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
>> distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
>> received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by e-mail
>> and delete the original message.
>>
>> --

> "well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge

 ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
 http://exactcode.com | http://exactscan.com | http://ocrkit.com | http://t2-project.org | http://rene.rebe.de