[sane-devel] [janitorial] CI now builds snapshots with "funny" versions

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Thu Jul 6 12:39:51 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I found it most unfair that sane-frontends didn't get the same snapshot
tarball treatment as sane-backends does so I set up a simple CI job over
on GitLab.com.  All it does is roll a source tarball.  Nothing more.  It
doesn't even try to compile the sources.  But!  We now have a

  sane-frontends-1.0.14-31-gc1b7785-dirty.tar.gz

on http://sane-project.org/snapshots/

Now I'm wondering if I should drop the daily git archives ...
# ... and update the SANE - Download web page[1].
# [1]: http://sane-project.org/source.html

For those of you running cron jobs against those git archives, perhaps
now is your chance to speak your mind (or change your cron job ;-)

Olaf Meeuwissen writes:

> Hi Allan,
>
> About two weeks ago I wrote on the sane-devel mailing list:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> [ ... creating `git describe --dirty` versioned tarballs ...]
>>
>> So then, what does happen on Alioth when the daily snapshots are made?
>> These snapshots are, unsurprisingly, courtesy of a daily cron job.  It
>> runs something close to
>>
>>   git archive --format=tar master | gzip > sane-backends-$DATE.tar.gz
>>
>> I've tried to run `make dist` on Alioth.  No such luck.  [...]
>>
>> The fact you cannot run `make dist` on Alioth is probably why the daily
>> snapshots are just `git archive`s, but those archives are not made the
>> way as our release tarballs.  And that bugs me.  Maybe I should change
>> that cron job to pull the tarballs from GitLab.com ...
>
> Well, I did just that and ran it manually without any hitch.  There is
> now an extra snapshot[1] that is made the same way we roll our release
> tarballs.
>
>  [1] http://sane-project.org/snapshots/
>
> This snapshot corresponds to the most current git checkout that passed
> the CI build at GitLab.com.
>
> The updated make-git-snapshots.sh should (famous last words!) run
> without any trouble and produce no output.  If, however, you start
> receiving mail from your daily sane cronjob, just forward it to me
> and I'll fix it up.

Hope this helps,