[sane-devel] [janitorial] leading whitespace: spaces XOR tabs

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Fri Jul 21 11:50:51 UTC 2017

Hi,

Gerhard Jäger writes:

> Well - Olaf,
>
> seems nothing can stop you from doin' that ;)

Convincing counter-arguments can but I can be hard to convince ;-)

> I second Allan, so go on. If I ever will apply my changes, I think I can
> live with it.
>
> Cheers,
>   Gerhard
>
> On 20.07.2017 at 15:07 m. allan noah wrote:
>> Olaf, you make a pretty convincing case, especially as regards to your
>> wider than average exposure to the codebase. If you feel strongly
>> about this, and are willing to do the work (which I think will be
>> harder than you expect), then I will remove my objections.

Hard?  No.  A lot of work?  Sure.  More work than I thought it would be?
I've already realized that.  Am I deterred by that?  Not at all.

There were several hundred compiler warnings on Debian GNU/Linux 8.x in
the past.  They're gone now.  The new ones, some 50 or so?, that popped
up in 9.0 are a thing of the past now too.  Warnings on Alpine are down
too and I'm sensing they're being gone is within reach.  Fedora is on
the list next ;-)

Anyways, with all concerns of the two of you out of the way now, I'll
have a good look at it again and clean up things starting with the low
hanging fruit.  I'll also add policy checking at a warning level so we
can all see where we're at in the CI build logs.

As long as there are tools that can check this "boring" stuff for you,
it is relatively easy keep things in order.

Hope this helps,