[sane-devel] sane-backend 1.0.27 USB broken on Mac with Homebrew

schmo-fu schmo-fu at feinfug.org
Mon Jul 24 10:54:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

i want to report a problem with sane-backends 1.0.27 on MacOS
installation via homebrew package management.
I wrote to one of the maintainers (Yurii on Cc:) of the homebrew-formula
first. He send me here, because it's not a compilation problem.
The formula installed fine, but the resulting sane-backend is built
without usb support.

Here is how and what i found out:
xsane suddenly didn't find my USB-Scanner anymore. I checked the scanner
with another computer and it's fine. I looked into the debug-output and
... long story short:
Debug information from sane-find-scanner says:
"sanei_usb_init: SANE is built without support for libusb"

Since i "brew upgrade"d since my last use of the scanner, i switched
back to 1.0.25_1 and this fixed the problem.
Reinstalling 1.0.27 with --build-from-source reproduced the problem.

The strange thing is, that the sane-backends.rb-file (the homebrew
automatic installation instruction) clearly states
"--enable-libusb" in both versions. But config-warnings for 1.0.27 say
"unrecognized options: --enable-libusb" which is in accordance with the
NEWS note 2, that libusb is now the default, but something seems to be
broken here.
I changed the formula so that it states "--with-usb" but that didn't
help. (No warning anymore, but still no USB)

The last 1.0.25-homebrew-commit contained a patch (concerning some
missing headers) that later commits are missing. (What this patch did
exactly and whether this is related to the usb-problem is beyond me.)

Finally i can say that homebrew-commit
7aaf1e3a14b75a715eed34f3bb4c57e79f417e96 works, while the next commit
60b1305361d0ef61405014b37164b1daaf77d207 doesn't.

I hope all of this makes sense to you and someone has time to look
into this problem.

Greetings from germany,
Thomas.S
(aka schmo-fu)

PS: I made some brew gist-logs for you, maybe they help.

1.0.27 latest commit:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/df5ad14abeca4ad0348d39693c92747a

1.0.27 manually changed --enable-usb to --with-usb:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5960a98614bed2b89a85fd726eddcece

1.0.25 last working commit:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/c47dd22ff09318c0151cc5771173f97b

Gruß,