[sane-devel] Kodak i30 Initialisation

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Wed Jun 7 15:13:47 UTC 2017

Hi,
On Jun 7, 2017, at 16:57, Sebastian Schmachtel <prisma_debian at oimel.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thank you for your Answer.
>>
>> # I had a quick look at the avision.c code and there is some mention of
>> # firmware.  Looks like it supports downloading as well as checking for
>> # the need to do so of firmware but this may need a bit of tinkering on
>> # crude inspection.
>> # @Rene> Do you have any idea what might be needed?  I don't.
>>
>> You could check the Windows driver for a firmware file.  Typical file
>> name extension would be .bin or maybe .dat (just guessing here).  The
>> files I've seen (for a different backend!) were 64K (65536 bytes).  I
>> don't know but 64K sounds like a nice firmware file size number to me.
>>
>> Since you run in a Windows VM, sniffing should be quite easy to do with
>> wireshark.  What you're looking for is a lot of USB traffic on the first
>> scan after you power on that just sends gobs of data *to* the scanner.
> Thank you for mentioning Wireshark. That makes USB sniffing quite easy.
> I was however not sucessful in finding Firmware transmissions. I did a
> capture of the Initialisation (attach to VM) and then scanning an empty
> page. But before starting the scan there are only small packages <=320
> bytes in both directions. The scan consists then of course of bigger
> chunks from the scanner. I have uploaded the pcap, if this might help:
> https://ufile.io/h0c2s
>
> My next idea would be to compare sane initialisation and windows
> initialisation, maybe there is something to learn from...

The i30 does not need/get firmware, and worked a decade ago.

If it is broken in sane today, then it is likely due to one of the “I have
a crazy HP scanner and made wild edits” kind of changes since then :-/

	René

--
 ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
 http://exactcode.com | http://exactscan.com | http://ocrkit.com | http://t2-project.org | http://rene.rebe.de