[sane-devel] need help with hp 2135 all in one scanning...

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Jun 18 04:12:08 UTC 2017

Hi Stamatis,

Stamatis Diamantopoulos writes:

> hallo
>
> i have been using the ' *2135 hp all in one*'  scanner for 6 months now for
> printing and scanning. two days ago i got an error message saying
> no devices found
> i can still print and photocopy but no scanning...

What happened between two days ago and the last time you scanned in
terms of your system setup?

> i have uninstalled and reinstalled *xsane* still nothing happened
> my sane version is :

Very unlikely that xsane has anything to do with this.

> *libsane.so.1 -> libsane.so.1.0.27    libsane.so.1 -> libsane.so.1.0.27*

Now here's a possible clue.  That version was only released about a
month ago.  Looks like you updated.  Would reverting back to 1.0.25
be an option?

# Depending on your OS, there may be binary packages with a 1.0.26*
# version.  If so, that would be fine too.  BTW, telling us what OS
# and version of it you're using will make helping you easier.

> in the terminal* sudo sane-find-scanner* gave this:
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x0bda [Generic], product=0x0129 [USB2.0-CRW]) at libusb:001:006
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x0a5c [Broadcom Corp], product=0x21d7 [BCM43142A0]) at libusb:001:005
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0xe111 [DeskJet 2130 series]) at libusb:001:007

The SANE project doesn't have any explicit info on that HP scanner.
Could it be that you have been using the external hpaio backend?

> any help welcomed...

Does running

  sudo scanimage --list-devices

show your scanner?  If it does, it's a permission issue.  Something must
have changed the permission settings.  Perhaps your upgrade to 1.0.27?
If so, I'd like to know *how* you upgraded because it could be an issue
with your OS' provided binary package (meaning more people are affected
and that package ought to get fixed).

If the above command does not list your scanner, I can think of two
possibilities, assuming you used the hpaio backend.  Either that backend
is no longer installed or your sane-backends-1.0.27 can no longer find
it for some reason.

Hope this helps,