[sane-devel] scanbd ... next steps / questions ...

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.wm.meier at googlemail.com
Wed May 3 20:58:14 UTC 2017

Am 03.05.2017 um 19:50 schrieb Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza:
> Hi Axel,
> thank you very much for your feedback - I hope to have more spare time next
> weekend to dive again into this issue.
>
> But in general: I had had thought that there is a "generic" dll.conf having
> only the net - backend enabled that sits in /etc/saned (after configuration of
> scanbd). This I took from the README.txt:

> 6) sane config
>
> All desktop applications should only get access to the scanners via the net
> backend, so edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf to only contain the net-backend on the
> desktop machines.
>
> example dll.conf:
> ---
> net
> ---
>
> but somewhere there is a need to tell sane which physical device to use, so I
> thought - maybe erratically - that scanbd "hides" other entries / a different
> dll.conf in /etc/saned from sane and tells sane itself which scanner to use
> but depicts to the "outer world" that there is nothing but a network scanner.
> As readily said, this may be totally wrong. If I read your comments it sounds
> as if the sane - configuration ought to remain "as is", but this is not what
> the above mentioned entry in README.txt from scanbd tells me.

Please read the ReadMe.txt carefully ;-)

All local scan-applications like xsane e.g. have to use the net-backend.
This is the only way to intercept a scan-request by scanbd. scanbd in
turn has to start saned to perform the real scan. saned itself use the
normal way for configuration: it normally would use the
/etc/sane/dll.conf, but this would be wrong since it leads to an
infinity recursion via the net backend. Therefore scanbd uses the
SANE_CONFIG_DIR to point saned to another location to find an
alternative dll.conf - and this dll.conf should only contain the local
attached scanners (or remote on other machines).

Sounds a bit complicated, but this is the way it is ...

HTH,
 Wilhelm