[sane-devel] Xsane does not work any more with Lide 200 and Lide220 at Ubuntu16.04LTS

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Thu May 4 11:23:29 UTC 2017

Hi Erwin,

Better late than never.

erwin.hug at gmx.de writes:

> Hello,
>
> since update from Ubuntu 14.04LTS to Ubuntu 16.04LTS the XSane does not
> work anymore with any of these two scanners.
> In the old distritution there was XSane 0.98 installed.
> In 16.04 the new Versoion of 0.999  is installed.
>
> Xsane starts and finds both scanners with the right name.
> By starting scanning there is an error:
> Lide220: I/O error with a short noise on the scanning Bar. Scanner is
> not mechanically locked.
>      "Konnte Scanner nicht starten während Geräte I/O"
>
> Lide200: was working properly before, but does not make any noise. Now
> with error message -> "Konnte Scanner nicht starten während Geräte I/O".

Do your scanners still work with other SANE frontends such as Simple
Scan and scanimage?

If no, it's probably something caused by changes in Ubuntu's libsane
packages because libsane-1.0.25 (built from sane-backends-1.0.25) should
have complete support for both scanners.  Check for similar libsane bug
reports with Ubuntu and file one if there is nothing similar.

If yes, it may be an issue caused by state saved by XSane.  Move your
~/.sane/xsane directory out of the way and try again.  If that doesn't
fix things, it's probably a bug introduced by Ubuntu's upgrade of XSane
to 0.999.  Check for similar xsane bug reports with Ubuntu and file one
if there is nothing similar.

> I need some help what could be the reason why it does not work any more
> and how I can fix the problem.

Hope this helps,