[sane-devel] sane-backends release 1.0.26 schedule

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Sat May 6 09:52:24 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-04-28 at 08:04 -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
> Ok folks, it's time to get another sane-backends release out the
> door.
>
> Olaf has done a good job of cleaning up our contributors list and
> curating the bug tracker. However, there are a handful of patches in
> the bug tracker that could still be applied, once they are reviewed.
> Also, quite a number of backends that are now unmaintained. So, this
> is a good time to get involved with sane. If you benefit from this
> project, and have some programming experience, we could use the help.
>
> Schedule:
>
> May 7: Feature freeze (only fix bugs and update docs after this date)
> May 14: Code freeze (only update docs after this date)
> May 21: Release

Hi,
Yesterday when I had a look at our bug tracker for any issues in my
code I found https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&group_id=30
186&aid=315004&atid=410366
This is an issue for scanbd integration that requires more flexibility
for configuration of dll-loading: when scanbd is used users need to use
 the net backend only, but scanbd/saned need to be fed with the
"normal" list of backends.
I made a patch to dll.c where
- It used the dll.conf with the name pointed out by env. var
SANE_CONFIG_FILE if defined, if not
- it tries to load a dll2.conf if it exists. This is meant to be a file
dropped in thre sane config dir by scanbd. If that does not exist
- it follows the existing code path.

I added a #include statement in the config file so dll2.conf can
include dll.conf if so required.

I am in the process of testing and cleaningup. but my question is:
should I commit this change so close to the freeze date? Documentation
is still to be done, but I would still have 2 weeks for that.
Alan, what do you think?

cheers, Louis