[sane-devel] Can't use scanner on Mac High Sierra (10.13)

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 13 09:41:20 UTC 2017

Hi Tom,

Cc:ing the list for the benefit of everyone.

Tom Myers writes:

> I have faith that we will get the code to work with High Sierra. I
> have now been able to build the software now and in my “spare” time
> trying to debug why it isn’t connecting. It works on 10.11, but not
> 10.12 or 10.13 so I am hopeful either I find the problem or the group
> finds the issue.  I figured since I have access to the 12000XL and
> noticed it wasn’t in there I would share it with the group.
>
> Thanks for all the work you do.
>
>> On Nov 9, 2017, at 7:51 AM, Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Tom Myers writes:
>>
>>> I have been able to build the SANE-Backends-1.0.27 But running it
>>> gives a problem on USB scanners. It works fine with network scanner
>>>
>>> ――――――― Building ---------------
>>>
>>> ./configure BACKENDS="epson2" PRELOADABLE_BACKENDS="epson2" --with-usb
>>> make
>>> make install
>>>
>>> Note it would be great if the epson2.desc file be updated for the new 12000XL
>>>
>>> :model      "Expression 12000XL"
>>> :interface  "USB"
>>> :usbid      "0x04b8" "0x015b"
>>> :status     :good
>>> :comment    "overseas version of the DS-G20000"
>>
>> I'd gladly do so but ... seeing that you have trouble using it via USB
>> on your Mac, what makes you confidently say that this should be added to
>> the epson2.desc file?

So seeing that it works on 10.11 (but not on 10.12 and 10.13, yet?),
I'll add it to the epson2.desc (and epson2_usb.c) file.

BTW, you are adding the USB info to your epson2.conf (or epson2_usb.c),
aren't you?  You probably also need to do something to get read/write
access to the device when the OS first sees it (or try with root
privileges).  Don't know what you did on 10.11 but maybe things have
changed for 10.12 and 10.13 in that area.

Hope this helps,