[sane-devel] SANE needs a GUI like CUPS's 'system-config-printer' to manually add a network scanner.

Hans Deragon hans at deragon.biz
Sat Nov 25 20:31:28 UTC 2017

Greetings Simon,

Isn't this a problem?  I thought that Sane, like CUPS, is a generic
standard.  So why would my HP MFC's scanner be something HP specific?

Shouldn't there be a way to just tell Sane "Hey, there is a scanner at
IP <xxx> you are unable to detect automatically.  Please add it to your
list."?

If a printer is not found, I can add it with system-config-printer.  But
if the magic of automatic detection of Sane fails, I cannot add a
scanner manually.  This is an important feature that is missing in
Linux, IMHO.

Has this topic been discussed before?  I must not be the first to bring
it up.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon