[sane-devel] SANE needs a GUI like CUPS's 'system-config-printer' to manually add a network scanner.

Hans Deragon hans at deragon.biz
Sun Nov 26 13:28:09 UTC 2017

Greetings,

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 MFC. I have two Linux computers at home,
a desktop and a laptop. Both are able to print to it, no problem. I
configured the desktop with hp-setup from hplip, using the USB cable.
That configures the device to use the wifi.  Once configured, I
disconnected the USB cable and that desktop computer is able to use the
scanner, no problem.  I have another laptop, which I just want to
connect to the same scanner.  I do not want to set the scanner up again,
since it is already configured.  I just want to tell Sane that there is
a scanner at address 192.168.1.157.  Sane fails to detect it, and I have
no clue how to add it using a GUI nor a terminal for that matter.

The should be a GUI feature that allows me to add a scanner the same way
one can add a printer.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon

On 2017-11-26 02:35, Alex ARNAUD wrote:

> Le 25/11/2017 à 21:25, Hans Deragon a écrit :
> If you use an HP multifunction printer you can configure it from
> system-config-printer and you scanner feature will automatically work.
> Nope, that is not the case. system-config-printer is only for the
> printer side of a MFC device. I can print to my MFC, but I cannot scan
> it. As a scanner, it does not exists and I have no means to add it
> manually to Linux.

I don't understand precisely. Are you talking about HP printers or
Brother MFC one? Brother provides a dedicated command-line tool to
configure both printer and scanner.

Best regards.