[sane-devel] SANE needs a GUI like CUPS's 'system-config-printer' to manually add a network scanner.

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Nov 27 11:34:22 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Nov 25 15:31 Hans Deragon wrote (excerpt):
> If a printer is not found, I can add it with system-config-printer.
> But if the magic of automatic detection of Sane fails,
> I cannot add a scanner manually.

I did not read all the details in this mail thread but in general
as far as I understand how the scanner drivers in SANE work
it is not possible for the user to add a scanner manually.
Either a scanner driver can detect the scanner or not.
In general you may have a look at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners
and therein see in particular the sections
"Scanning via Network" and perhaps also
"Third-Party Scanner Drivers".

I think with scanners it is basically same as with things like
harddisks. Either a kernel driver can detect a harddisk or not.
It is not possible for the user to add a harddisk manually
because when no kernel driver can detect a special harddisk
there is nothing what the user could do any further, except
update his kernel to get hopefully a new/updated driver that
can detect (and use) his special harddisk.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)