[sane-devel] Supported languages?

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Sun Oct 1 19:41:41 UTC 2017

Am 01.10.2017 um 19:04 schrieb Jeff Sadowski:
> I'm not sure I grasp it.
>
> So if I install ubuntu on a vm for each language I want to support would
> I be able to copy the output for each language?

No: The i18n concept for Sane is this:

- The backends return in every case the Endlish strings as they appear
  in the source code.
- A frontend can/should use the PO files to replace the english strings
  with the desired language.

The problem is that scanimage, the frontend, does not support i18n/l10n.

Perhaps one more reason to follow Jeff's advice not to call scanimage
but to write a Sane library for PHP ;)

> Or would it be better to do a google translate for the languages? I can
> add tables for translating the common options if need be.

Well, the translations are all there, in .po/.mo files -- just use them
;) But again, this is much easier to do if a PHP wrapper for Sane
backends directly passes the English strings to your application than to
search for these strings in the output from scanimage.

I am not at all familiar with PHP, but I'd bet that it supports gettext().

Abel