[sane-devel] parsing help output of scanimage there has got to be a better way?

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 19:28:23 UTC 2017

I am trying to design a web interface like phpsane (developer no longer
working on it)
It looks like he had issue also with parsing the help output as phpsane
didn't work for me.
I had created something like phpsane myself a while ago and was using it
until I upgraded and I lost my web interface.
I was looking if I had to create my own again or if something is out there.

I couldn't find anything so I went at creating my own again. I am really
satisfied with the way I do my php and having it spawn a separate php job
that runs in the background. I had originally customised mine for my
printer but now I wanted to make it more dynamic since I had to rebuild it
anyways.

The extremely hard part is coming up with a way to parse the stdout of
"scanimage -h"
Is there a good way to to this with regular expressions or something.

I have some ways I'm working on that I keep breaking up the string a bit at
a time but it seems exhausting coming up with a parser for pulling the
command line arguments and available options out of that.

Attached is the stdout output of my "scanimage -h"
My first approach was to go after every line that started with - or space -
As you can see in my attached output that approach won't work.
Any suggestions on how to start? Any suggestions on a place to share my
code with others?
I have just started using git on bitbucket for a class I am taking would
that be a good place?